Re: Multiple stanzas to selection of melody

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Multiple stanzas to selection of melody
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 00:10:36 +0200

Am 28.07.2014 21:47, schrieb Marten:
Dear all,

Trying to typeset a song I am faced with the following problem for which I
can;t find a solution in the manual or snippet repository. I kindly request
your help.

I'm typesetting a song with one staff, where the refrain comes first and
spans multiple lines of notes; after that come 3 stanzas. I'd like the song
text to be placed under the stanza melody, but I don't want to add empty
lines to the refrain. I'm looking for a solution with one \score block. Can
this be done?

In a sketch:

=====several notes, line 1 =====
Text to refrain, line 1
=====several notes, line 2 =====
Text to refrain, line 2
=====several notes, line 3 =====
Text to stanza 1, line 3
Text to stanza 2, line 3
Text to stanza 3, line 3
=====several notes, line 4 =====
Text to stanza 1, line 4
Text to stanza 2, line 4
Text to stanza 3, line 4

To me it would seem logical to change the name of the Voice in line 3, and
the associate the lyrics of the stanzas with the voice name in line 3. But
I don't knwo how to do this.

Hello Marten,

I agree that LilyPond does not have a satisfying interface for such situations (i.e. any situation with repeats, which get different text on different times, or with changing number of stanzas, as in your example). I’ve made three examples which should do what you want, the first two are similar, the third isn’t. Explanations are in the code, and more to be found in the learning manual <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/songs> and notation reference <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/vocal-music>.

Hope that helps,
Simon