Re: Where to Download the New Music Fonts?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Where to Download the New Music Fonts?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 16:04:19 +0200

On 29 Jul 2014, at 15:45, Abraham Lee <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > Since you know about it, perhaps you can provide a reference - I do not
>> > see dynamic linking being mentioned.
>>
>> It was discussed in this thread:
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2014-07/msg00216.html

> Actually, I'm not sure that's what Hans was asking. There was some work done
> on a font for Ekmelic microtonal music that ended up being called Ekmelily
> for its use with LilyPond:
>
> http://www.ekmelic-music.org/en/ekmelily.htm
>
> You might want to look at this. They created their own font for the
> accidentals and used a custom file that made them accessible with relative
> ease. This font is installed in the "normal" system location and there's only
> one to worry about. It's pretty cool!

I think that if you do that, microtonal accidentals will still not work in key
signatures. For that, one has to tweak the sources, and recompile LilyPond. Key
signatures with microtonal accidentals are used in for example Persian and
Turkish music.

But it might be possible to look around for number of microtonal suggestions,
and include them in a font that comes with the LilyPond distribution.