(de)crescendo causes ambiguous MIDI error

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: (de)crescendo causes ambiguous MIDI error
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 06:57:09 -0700

I ran into this issue again recently.  Something that is seen a lot in 19th and 20th century music is a crescendo or decrescendo without going to a specific dynamic.  The performer is given the freedom to decide how much to change the dynamics.  This causes an error message: "programming error: Impossible or ambiguous (de)crescendo in MIDI."

%%% BEGIN
\version "2.19.10"

\score {
  \relative c' {
    c1 \p | c4 \< d e f | g \> f e d | c1 \p
  }
  \layout {}
  \midi {}
}
%%% END

It was already agreed (I believe) that the error message should give some line number in the code.

There is a workaround, but it's ugly:

%%% BEGIN
\version "2.19.10"

\score {
  \relative c' {
    c1 \p | c4 \< d e \once \omit DynamicText f \f | g \> f e d | c1 \p
  }
  \layout {}
  \midi {}
}
%%% END

The problem is that the harpin does not quite go as far as you want it to.  This seems like an issue to me, but I can't find it in the Issues site (I may have missed it.)  Is it agreed that this is an issue (at least Ugly)?  Is it in the Issues Tracker?  Should I post this to bugs?

What should LilyPond do in these cases?  I would think it should pick the "next" dynamic up (e.g. "mp") and use that.  Either that or some way to indicate both the ending dynamic and the start of a (de)crescendo.

Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)