Re: Lilypond and eBooks

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Lilypond and eBooks
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 18:35:00 +1000

On 07/08/2014 16:39, Phil Holmes wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Br. Samuel Springuel" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 7:52 PM

Like Bart, I'll be using calibre for creating the actual eBook. This eBook will be for internal use and need only be compatible with Kindles, as that's all I expect it to be displayed on.

It seems to me that you don't create an eBook with calibre, but rather use it to convert something you have created to eBook format. What program will you use to actually write the text and import the images?

I put a few lilypond scores on my ereader (Kobo Aura HD) in PDF format to see if it was viable. I set the page size to A5; set all margins to zero (as the reader puts it's own margin on the screen); removed all page numbering, as the reader numbers the pages for me; and played with the staff size until I got good looking pages. The scores are readable and I can play from them, though I have to sit pretty close to the music stand, but until an ereader comes along that allows one to scribble annotations and changes directly onto the screen, it's not really a viable medium for scores. A larger screen wouldn't hurt, either.

Nick