Re: texinfo manual?

From: Steven Arntson
Subject: Re: texinfo manual?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 18:08:42 -0700

"Hwaen Ch'uqi" <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> Hmmm. Dense? I hardly doubt it! Perhaps you might try this: Reinstall
> lilypond with the .sh script but also call for documentation,
> something like this:
>
> sudo sh LILYPONDFILENAME.sh --prefix=PATH --documentation
>
> From my experience, this will take substantially longer to download,
> but you wil then have the complete documentation locally - at least in
> html format. But it may be that this direction also grabs the texinfo
> files and places them in the aforementioned lilypond/usr/share/info
> directory? Having always downloaded and installed lilypond this way, I
> have never noticed whether the --documentation flag was neded to
> obtain the .info files. I do hope this works.
>
> Hwaen Ch'uqi
>

> On 8/18/14, Steven Arntson <address@hidden> wrote:
>> "Hwaen Ch'uqi" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Greetings Steven,
>>>
>>> The manuals are in Texinfo format, and the good news is that they are
>>> merely hidden. Going off the top of my head, I believe the files are
>>> located in the folder lilypond/usr/share/info. There, you should find
>>> just over 30 files, most with a .info extension. Move them to your
>>> folder called /usr/share/info. N.B. -- You may need to be root to do
>>> this. Then you should be able to access the files with `c-h i'. I hope
>>> this helps.
>>>
>>> Hwaen Ch'uqi

>> My lilypond/usr/share contains:
>>
>> emacs
>> fonts
>> ghostscript
>> glib-2.0
>> guile
>> lilypond
>> locale
>>
>> -steven

That worked, and I got the info files--thank you!

Now I'm not sure how to get emacs to recognize them. I copied the files
to /usr/share/info/lilypond, and successfully viewed a couple pages with
C-u C-h i, but the whole thing isn't showing up by itself when I call
C-h i, even after restarting emacs.

Perhaps I should pursue this in help.emacs, but thought I'd ask here
first, since I started the thread here.

Thank you again for your help!