Re: Where is define-line-markup defined/documented?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Where is define-line-markup defined/documented?
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 13:18:45 +0100

On Thu, 2014-09-04 at 13:04 +0100, Mark Knoop wrote:
> At 12:48 on 04 Sep 2014, James wrote:
> >On 04/09/14 12:38, Richard Shann wrote:
> >> The snippet http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=750
> >> for changing the markup used for chord names makes use of Scheme
> >> procedures like define-line-markup, define-small-markup ...
> >
> >I don't see these referenced anywhere in git or in this snippet.
> >
> >Are you sure you have the correct name?
>
> I think Richard means "make-line-markup" etc (rather than "define"). I
> too have wondered about these scheme functions - they seem to be
> magically generated somewhere.

Well, having got the right name ( :-{ ) searching for "(define" or
lambda on the same line as "make-line-markup" isn't guaranteed to find
the definition, but I wonder if (given the quality of LilyPond's source
code formatting) if they are defined via C++ routines, but I can't
imagine why they would be except...

> They can mostly be guessed from the
> similar \markup commands:
>
> \markup \small "text" == #(make-small-markup "text)

this illustrates the meaning, but doesn't hint at how to create a
variant of the procedure (in my case, make-small-markup is too small).

Richard