Re: How can we obtain ties across voices in parallel music?

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: How can we obtain ties across voices in parallel music?
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 18:20:50 -0006

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Jacques Menu <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello folks,

I’d like to obtain the tie between the cis’s in beat 1 and 2 in the attached, from a version of BWV 508 (3/4).

The best I could find is:

%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.18.2"

{
\clef "treble" \key b \major \time 3/4

…

\tieDown
<cis ~ ais fis>4 )
<<
  {fis8 --}
  {\hideNotes cis8 \unHideNotes}

fis8 ( [ ais fis ] |

}
%%%%%%%%%

Problem: \hideNotes applies to fis8 too, leading to the following, in which the tie applies to ais’s and not cis’s by the way:

Thanks for your help!

JM

--

Jacques Menu
Ch. de la Pierre 12

mailto:address@hidden

Jacques,

You are really close. The way that I do it is to use explicit parallel voices like this:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.18.2"

pianoRH = \relative c {
  \clef treble
  \key b \major
  \time 3/4

  \new Voice {
    \voiceOne
    <<
      {
        <fis ais cis>4 fis'8\noBeam fis ais fis
      }
      \new Voice {
        \voiceTwo
        \once \hideNotes <fis, ais cis ~ >4 <ais cis>4 q

{ \pianoRH }

I have yet to run into a problem with this approach. Actually, this kind of syntax solves a lot of other problems, too.

HTH,
Abraham