Re: In wait for a subsequent word (sorry how can I put it)?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: In wait for a subsequent word (sorry how can I put it)?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:39:57 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Son_V" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 6:56 PM

Well, I now include an image; I usually write a "long underscore" when there is something that lasts in a next syllable; like in the example, "Sa -- cra
-- men __ tum" (here you can see what i mean in "men __ tum", or "to
__que"). I do not give trace about the syllable to be sung after "cer -- nu
-- i". The "i"
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n166284/Appunto_Tantum_ergo.jpg>
must be sung for the other three notes; is there a "rule" that says what
should be done? I hope to have expressed myself in a comprehensible way.
Thanks.

I believe you are confusing the syntax for hyphens with that for extenders. Use 2 minus signs with a space either side for a hyphen (like " -- " but with no quote marks). Use two underscores for extenders " __ ".

--
Phil Holmes