Re: A help document i would like to have

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: A help document i would like to have
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 16:42:31 +0200

Hi Vincenzo,

this is something I was thinking about 2 years ago leading me to the
visual index below. But let’s start with the official documentation.

This part of the LilyPond documentation:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/music-glossary/index.html
does a fairly good job for the translation
English -> Spanish, Italian, French, German, Dutch, Danish, Swedish and
Finnish.

However, when using LilyPond, most often you will need the other way.
E.g. you have a) this symbol in mind: đť„ž or b) you know that it is a
"NotenschlĂĽssel" in German, but you don't know the English word and thus
you can’t look it up in the documentation.

For b) I propose one of these solutions:
- the search function of the music glossary above
- The website pons.eu or any online dictionary

For a) this file comes quite close:
http://joramberger.de/files/lilypond_visualindex.pdf
(I am sorry, I linked it before, but in this case it fits so nicely.)
It does what you suggested but not for music terms in general but for
Lilypond contexts, graphical objects and engravers. And it links to the
appropriate place in the documentation.
When working with LilyPond, I find this even more helpful.
But it can easily be changed to show the musical terms in different
languages. What do you think?

Cheers,
Joram