Re: Thanks to David Nalesnik and Jan-Peter Voigt

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Thanks to David Nalesnik and Jan-Peter Voigt
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 12:42:26 -0500

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Jay Vara <address@hidden> wrote:
I wanted to get bar lines after each sub-meter of a compound meter, and
to have Completion_heads_engraver recognize these bar lines and split
and tie notes as needed.

Thanks to David and Jan-Peter, I was able to change their
doubleBarlinesAfterTimeSig engraver to achieve this effect. I still have
a little more work to do since some of the moment variables currently
have fixed values.

The engraver works well as seen in the code below. Again, I do not
really understand the significance of why, for example time-signature is
set to '() although it does not change in the engraver.

Actually, the entire let-block is unnecessary, since neither of the variables is used in your adaptation.  If you delete it, you also must get rid of the invocation of stop-translation-timestep, whose only purpose here is to reset the unnecessary variable time-signature to the empty-list.

This variable is presumably in your source to serve as a collector of time signature grobs as they are encountered.  We start with the empty-list to which the grobs are consed.  The list is then cleared to make way for a new one.

(This list would be have been populated through an acknowledger of the time-signature-interface, which apparently has been stripped here.)

Hope this helps,
David