Re: Still confused about horizontal shifts in NoteColumns

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Still confused about horizontal shifts in NoteColumns
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 18:23:55 +0200

Am 08.10.2014 18:05, schrieb Frederick Bartlett:
Running 2.18.2 under Linux, I'm looking to duplicate this:
Inline images 2
I currently have this:

Inline images 2

I would like to shift the first quarter note a bit to the right, about half as much as the third, but force-hshift and the various \shiftOxxx commands have no effect. (The stems of the quarter and half notes should be noticeably separate.)

Snippet:

\new Staff = "treble" \with { \consists "Span_arpeggio_engraver" }
<< \relative c'' { \set Staff.connectArpeggios = ##t \key a\major
  << { e2 \arpeggio a, } \\ { \voiceOne e4 \arpeggio e \shiftOn e fis8 g } \\ { cis,1 \arpeggio } >>
} >>

I get the usual warning -- "ignoring too many clashing note columns".  The LM says, at 4.6.1, "If and only if two or more note columns within a single Staff context, both with stems in the same direction, occur at the same musical moment, the values of their horizontal-shift properties are used to rank them and the columns in the higher ranks are progessively offset to avoid collisions of the noteheads."

So -- shouldn't the alignment I want occur automagically?

Or should "both with stems in the same direction" be "all with stems ..."? But whole notes have no stems ... is that the problem?

The e'4 should be \voiceThree, then it is on its own noteColumn. If you don't like the automatic spacing you can *then* manually override the shift.

HTH
Urs

Thanks!

Fred