Can I make a TextScript occupy no space, potentially colliding?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Can I make a TextScript occupy no space, potentially colliding?
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 17:21:43 +0100

In this code I put a large letter A above the music.
If I uncomment the tweak the letter A is moved elsewhere, but it still
takes up space at the top of the score.
If I uncomment the override, I don't get the space back.

\version "2.18.0"
\score {
 {
  %\override  TextScript.Y-extent = #'(0 . 0)
  a1
  %-\tweak #'extra-offset #'(7 . -12)
  ^\markup {\fontsize #12 A }

Is there a way to stop LilyPond trying to prevent my TextScript
colliding - to say that it occupies, say, no space?

Richard