Re: A sign I can't understand ...

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: A sign I can't understand ...
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 22:56:36 +0200

Am 15.10.2014 22:45, schrieb Larry Kent:
Just a guess, but it's probably the composer/editor's "helpful" instruction to sing an eighth note and breathe instead of singing a full quarter.

It's cut off in the scan, but isn't that indicating that in a second (or later) verse there are two syllables?

In that case default notation would be to explicitly write that in temporary polyphony. *If* my guess is right then the notation of your image would be wrong.

Best
Urs

But don't use it...the apostrophe/comma above the barline tells the singers all they need to know.  The note in parentheses is an added distraction.

The standard way of indicating special performance instructions that are difficult to notate in standard notation (which this is NOT) would be to use a footnote ( a small asterisk or a number like in a book ) and at the bottom of the page, write:  "Sing an 1/8th instead of a 1/4 note, then take a breath and proceed."  But you do not need anything like this for this example.

LKent
Tampa FL