Re: Anacrusis in multiple tunes on page

From: Patrick or Cynthia Karl
Subject: Re: Anacrusis in multiple tunes on page
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 16:04:41 -0500

Recently you posted:

It seems clear to me that I am mis-formatting something.

What I am trying to do is is to put multiple tunes on a single page
as for a "set" of tunes for a dance. The problem that I'm having is
that many of these tunes start both the "A" part and the "B" part
with an anacrusis and end the part with a shorter measure to
make the  number of beats work out.

Partial works fine for the initial anacrusis, but if the piece has multiple
parts, each with an anacrusis, the processor complains about the
subsequent \partial directives. It also doesn't much like a \partial
at the end of the section.

I've tried just leaving them out, but the programmer in me does not
like the warning messages that result.

I've noticed that I can account for the missing beats with "s" and the
missing time, but this results in unnecessary whitespace and throws
the overall note spacing out.

Is there an alternative to "s" that would allow Lilypond to account for
the missing beats without adding space that I do not want?

More or less minimal example follows -- I've left in the directive blocks
on the off chance that there's something there or missing from there
that would influence the problem.

Thanks,

-Don

and Keith Ohara responded:

From what you wrote I see no problem,

I think what he means is that your "more or less minimal example" doesn't throw any warning or error messages in LilyPond 2.18.0.  Here is a minimal example:

\version "2.18.0"

\paper { ragged-right = ##t }

music = \relative b' {
\partial 4 c4
c1

\break

\partial 4 d4
d1
}

\score {
\music
\layout {}
}

 which does throw the warning:

Interpreting music...
SpuriousPartialWarning.ly:11:3: warning: trying to use \partial after the start of a piece

  \partial 4 d4

I think the difference is that your anacruces(?) are in different scores, while mine are in the same score.

The good news is that the above snippet doesn't throw any warning messages at 2.19.15.  So you could upgrade to that or wait for 2.20 to be released.