Re: Automatic ottava handling

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: Automatic ottava handling
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 02:39:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi David,

This new version is really excellent! I think it handles chords wonderfully
well, and I also like the alist idea very much!

David Nalesnik-2 wrote
> The alist argument needs to be there.  I don't believe you can have an
> optional parameter except at the tail end of the music function, but I'll
> need to verify that. (And you definitely don't want the variable coming
> after the music expression....)

That's indeed a pity, I often forget that the music expression itself is
considered as a variable in these functions, so you really can't have an
optional argument in between. But the empty alist is not a bad solution at
all, I think, and it is wonderful to have the possibility to deal with bass
clefs and short/long ottavation names.

As for that idea of handling rests, how difficult would it be to implement
it as another variable inside of this alist? So the user would inform how
many quarter note rests (or some other time unit) in between two "ottaved"
notes would be necessary in order to break the ottavation. I don't know how
tricky this can be (I have no clue how difficult it would be to deal with
the number of quarter notes/beats/time units/bars between notes in
LilyPond).

Thanks once again and take care!
Gilberto