Re: thanks again for the editionEngraver

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: thanks again for the editionEngraver
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:54:40 -0400

Hi Paul,

> I was thinking the edition engraver would be a good way
> to handle Urs’ "original breaks" functionality.

Urs and I have had a brief private correspondence discussing that very point.
=)

“original breaks” functionality shouldn’t exist on their own in the regular
distro. But I definitely agree that \editionEngraver makes easy work of that
sort of thing.

> Instead of entering the original breaks (tagged or with a special break
> command) in the score in the middle of the music, mixing content and
> presentation...  I can imagine a way to simply enter a list of measure
> numbers where the original breaks should be placed, as part of the "editing
> edition" of the score.
> Then it would be easy to turn this "editing edition" on or off (from the
> command line or however).

That’s exactly what I do.  =)

If the \editionEngraver had anchors and direct context addressing, I believe I
would be able to finally eliminate all presentation-layer coding (e.g., \tags,
\tweaks, etc.) from my content code.

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer