Re: Fortran library for generating LilyPond code

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Fortran library for generating LilyPond code
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 14:21:24 +0100

Am 31.10.2014 03:47, schrieb Gilberto Agostinho:
Hello LilyPonders,

I am really not sure this will be of any use for anyone else besides myself,
but here we go: today I finally finished cleaning the code of my Fortran
library that I use to generate LilyPond code algorithmically, and I uploaded
it to gitHub together with some few examples. I plan to add some more
complex examples and some clear instructions as soon as I have some free
time. Below is the link to the repository:

https://github.com/gilbertohasnofb/lilypondLibrary

This is a good thing to have done, thank you.

What this library does: basically you can write a code in Fortran and it
outputs a perfectly looking .ly file. So let's say you want to create a
staff with a middle C note, you could simply use:

[...]
call STAFF()
call NOTE(60,"4")
call END_STAFF()
[...]

My personal use of this library is to produce algorithmic music. I have been
using these types of techniques for the past year, including an orchestral
work completely generated by the computer (i.e., absolutely NO changes or
corrections or any input from me). I am pretty certain that all this could
be achieved by programming a whole piece using Scheme inside a .LY file, but
that is really beyond me, so I took an alternative route: /if the mountain
won't come to Fortran, then Fortran must go to the mountain/.

It's perfectly reasonable to go that route. There are contexts where it may be preferable to have everything encapsulated in a LilyPond/Scheme "application" while in others it is better to have generated .ly files as a *persistent* intermediate state. For example if there was the chance you might want to be able to post-process the composition. Or if you want to have a score that you can fine-tune for better output.

So it's of course a good addition to have a library for an additional language available.

If anyone is interested in the subject, feel free to contact me both here in
our forum or by mail.

Ehm, I'm sorry and embarrassed that we still have your post dangling somewhere. Maybe this "publication" is an appropriate opportunity to pick that up ...

Best
Urs

Take care,
Gilberto