Re: Place objects by hand

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Place objects by hand
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 07:08:31 -0600

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

David, you wrote Sunday, November 02, 2014 12:44 PM

> No, it's not a problem with \offset.
>
> Substitute this for the call to \offset, and you'll see that it's actually an issue with X-offset here:
>
>  \once \override DynamicText.X-offset = #-3

Ah, sorry to cast invalid aspersions on \offset, David.  Still looks like a bug though.

Yes, I would say it's definitely a bug.  This is a bit of misuse of self-alignment-X, but the same happens with this line:

 \once \override DynamicText.self-alignment-X = #5

So, possibly it's a problem with the Dynamics context?

Another example bites the dust.

Yeah, sorry.  It's not hard to come up with vivid demonstrations; the difficult part of course is to find the real-world example where just that command is what you need!

(It can be used to create the same effects as \shape, but then...there's \shape for that.)

Offsetting arpeggio.positions is nice, I think.  (Though not precise; there is quantization which unavoidably kicks in, I think.  It's still nice for arpeggios across tiny intervals, where you don't want to figure out staff positions yourself.)

--David