Re: Piano crossings and ottava indications don't get along?

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Piano crossings and ottava indications don't get along?
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 02:38:46 -0700 (MST)

Ryan,

I figured out what was going on with the other OttavaBracket. It turns out that if you change staff AND change the ottavation at the same musical moment, then you must "\change Staff" FIRST for the OttavaBracket to appear in the lower voice. So, here's the updated (correct) code:

%<----------------- SNIP --------------------

 \version "2.18.2"

right = \relative c'' {
  \voiceOne
  \once \override Staff.OttavaBracket.stencil = ##f
  \ottava #-1
  \tuplet 6/4 { \change Staff = "left" c,,,16 ees g c \change Staff = "right" ees g }
  \ottava #0
  \tuplet 6/4 { c ees g c ees g }
  \tuplet 6/4 { c b bes a aes g }
  \tuplet 6/4 { ges f e ees d des } |

  \once \override Staff.OttavaBracket.stencil = ##f
  \ottava #-1
  \tuplet 6/4 { \change Staff = "left" c,,,16 ees g c \change Staff = "right" ees g }
  \ottava #0
  \tuplet 6/4 { c ees g c ees g }
  \tuplet 6/4 { c b bes a aes g }
  \tuplet 6/4 { ges f e ees d des }
}

left = \relative c' {
  \voiceTwo
  \ottava #-1
  \tuplet 6/4 { c,,, g' c ees g c }
  \ottava #0
  \tuplet 6/4 { ees g c \change Staff = "right" ees g c }
  \tuplet 6/4 { ees d des c b bes }
  \tuplet 6/4 { a aes g ges f e } |

  \change Staff = "left"
  \ottava #-1
  \tuplet 6/4 { c,,, g' c ees g c }
  \ottava #0
  \tuplet 6/4 { ees g c \change Staff = "right" ees g c }
  \tuplet 6/4 { ees d des c b bes }
  \tuplet 6/4 { a aes g ges f e }
}

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff = "right" \new Voice \right
    \new Staff = "left" { \clef bass \new Voice \left }

  \layout {}
}

-Abraham

P.S. Developers, should it make a difference what the order is for \change Staff and \ottava? Procedurally, it makes sense to have \change Staff come first, but I was just wondering if, theoretically at least, the order should matter...