Re: Beaming on the quarter note

From: Phil Burfitt
Subject: Re: Beaming on the quarter note
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 23:13:51 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Guy Stalnaker" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2014 10:39 PM
Subject: Beaming on the quarter note

All,

I've done the search and found much of relevance, but nothing that
gives me what I want.

I'd like beaming restricted to quarter-note groups for all meters I
may use in a score (4/4, 3/4, 5/4, 6/4). I'm not using triple meters
in this work so such is irrelevant to my purpose.

What's happening is that the automatic beaming is beaming sets of 4
eighth-notes in 4/4 measures, and 6 eight-notes in 3/4 meaures if all
the notes in them are eighth-notes. This may be fine for
instrumentalists, but it is not fine for choral pieces where beaming
by beat pulse is my preference.

Is there a method short of manual beaming to tell Lilypond to group
beaming by quarter notes always no matter the ?/4 time?

Thanks,

Guy Stalnaker
address@hidden