Re: Condensing single-bar rests into a multi-measure rest

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Condensing single-bar rests into a multi-measure rest
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 09:07:27 +0100

Am 04.01.2015 um 02:13 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi Urs,

I'm not sure about that because that wasn't the problem at hand.
My problem was that I have to merge multimeasure rests that were written as e.g.

R1*4 {} R1*6

The empty expression is a music function that can return a \break (-> no rest
merging) or an empty expression.
The linked function is able to merge consecutive rests when they are of the
same type.

As I didn't look too close into the thread you linked I don't know if my
problem is related to yours, but I suspect it's rather something different.
My problem was

\version "2.19.15"

\new Staff \with { \compressFullBarRests }
     << { R1*8 } { \repeat unfold 8 {s1} } >>

Keith’s \mergeSkips deals with that, but (if I understand correctly) not your
empty-expression problem.

My function also merges skips but it fails on the \repeat construct.
So R1 R1 s1 s1 gives the attached result, but when you use \repeat multiple empty bars are printed. This is because \repeat unfold is a completely different representation than explicitly repeated music. I think it could be included if that's the issue, but I assume it's over my head so far. Principally it's a quite simple thing (just adding another conditional and taking the expression apart) but I don't have experience with this.

See the attached -- now self-contained -- file for some examples.

Urs

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer