Re: Grand Advanced Stylesheet Project (GASP)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Grand Advanced Stylesheet Project (GASP)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 22:41:17 -0500

Hi Urs (et al.),

> Maybe having it as a semi-official library would be more manageable?

Sure… whatever works best!

> A suggestion regarding the interface: how about
>    \include "stylesheets/choral/octavo.ily”

Okay.

> There could be a hierarchy of different building blocks, and the actual
> include file would pick from them what it needs and optionally add more items
> to the stylesheet.

Hmmm… I’d need to see it in action to see if that could really Do The Right
Thing™. Let’s say we want the following choral stylesheets: octavo, letter in
portrait orientation, and letter in landscape orientation. What’s the
hierarchy, and how does the stylesheet put it all together? Then, when I want
to make a stylesheet that mimics (e.g.) Barenreiter's octavo choral scores, how
does that work?

Obviously, this is related to my (our) Henle-Beethoven stylesheet discussions
from last year. We’d want the library to include piano solo stylesheets for
letter in both portrait and landscape orientations, and concert (9x12) in both
orientations. Then if we wanted to extend to a Henle house style, and narrow
that to “Henle piano folios ca. 1950” (with Abraham’s awesome new font, of
course!), how does that work?

Looking forward to making this a reality!

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>