Re: repeat, alternative, partial and full bar

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: repeat, alternative, partial and full bar
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 12:11:30 +0000 (UTC)

Ali Cuota <alicuota618 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I want to see exactly what shows this minimal example, except that the
> "space" is not desired.
> This is from an hymn melody and I do the SATB setting. So I would like
> to have the original "optic". And with so short repeats, it doesnt
> make sense to enlarge the alternative.
> Now, without the s8, the half-note of alternative 2. begins in the
> remaining half-beat and so the rest of the song.
> Thats why.

As has already been pointed out, the notation in your example doesn't really
make sense, rhythmically. In particular, the second alternative would
provide the second half of the bar starting before the first alternative, so
the bar lines after the second repeat seem half a bar off, to me. Anyway, if
you just want to avoid the space provided by s8, you could read about
scaling durations at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/writing-rhythms#scaling-durations.
The resulting example would then be
\relative c' {