Re: Git/Lilypond workflow

From: Ernie Braganza
Subject: Re: Git/Lilypond workflow
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 19:44:54 -0500

I use one repository, a number of shared directories, and then one subdirectory for each project.

I create a branch off of my master branch  whenever I start a project (and often a number of branches off of that for experiments) and make a lot of commits, then I rebase and squash all the commits into one before I merge the project branch back into master.

I never develop (compose) in the master branch. I make all my changes in the project branches and then, merge those into master.

Ernie

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 5:21 PM, H. S. Teoh <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 02:07:36PM -0800, Tim Walters wrote:
[...]
> Different strokes, I guess!

Indeed. :-)

> On 2/12/15 1:44 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >It's not *that* much easier than `mkdir new_composition; cd
> >new_composition; git init`. :-)
>
> Then you have to push it to the remote server, remember and clone all
> the URLs you've created since the last time you used machine X,
> install or separately pull the common files, etc. Whereas wherever I
> go, I'm either a "git clone" or a "git pull" away from getting to
> work.
[...]

I guess that's where our workflows diverge. I usually use a remote login
to work on my pieces, so the repos are always on the same machine. I
only need to push/pull for backup purposes.

So I suppose all of this goes to show that what's best for one person
may not be suitable for others. It really depends on your particular
workflow and needs, so you need to evaluate how you're going to be using
it before committing to a particular setup. :-)

Do not reason with the unreasonable; you lose by definition.