Re: Cadence treble clef

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Cadence treble clef
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 17:14:09 +0100

Hi Abraham,

> That isn't hard at all. Which would you prefer?
>
> 1. A brand-new font that has the sharper Cadence treble clef and the
> rest Emmentaler (with a new name, just for you).

Cool! I would prefer this. How about Greyerzer? It is a cheese quite
close to Emmentaler originwise. Am I right that in this case, it would
not matter whether I use this font completely or just for the clefs and
Emmentaler otherwise?

Independent from this, I think most beautiful handling of corners would
be in the middle of Emmentaler and Cadence. Looking at typographically
nice text fonts like Minion Pro or Linux Libertine and some others, my
take is (experts may correct me) this: Outer edges are almost never
infinitely sharp. There are no acute angles in the filled part.
But inner edges vary depending on how they would be drawn by hand. In
general, corners that arise by moving a pen are round (upper right part
of the e, the s, the lower left corner of the b) but corners that arise
from intersection of lines (x, where the curved parts of the n and m
meet the first straight line on the left) have sharp inner corners.

Translated to the clefs this would mean for the treble clef: The drop at
the lower end would be a bit rounded and the upper inner corner in the
upper loop (more towards Cadence) but the intersections along the
straight diagonal line would be sharp (more like Emmentaler).
For the bass clef, there would be no completely sharp corner.

Of course you can see that differently, but I think that is a reason why
I like these text fonts: They have a nice equilibrium between
clear/sharp lines and roundness.

Cheers,
Joram