Re: putting markup above chord names

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: putting markup above chord names
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 18:23:09 +0000

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Siena Kaplan-Thompson <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm writing up a simple round, and I want the number markers for the parts
to appear above the chord names.  I'm using markup on the notes to add the
numbers, and it doesn't seem to work to put the markup on the chords
instead.  Can't find anything in documentation to help, nor in archive.  I'm
using 2.16.2.  Any ideas?

Hi Siena,

I hope I understand the structure of your file correctly (it's best to include enough code that it will compile on its own). The ChordNames is a separate context from the staff they are above, and since the round numbers are part of the Staff context there is no way to make them jump up over the chord names, so to speak. I think the best solution is to create another context above ChordNames and put the round numbers in that, so something like this:

\version "2.16.2"

theChords = \chordmode {
  \time 3/4
  g4 | f g2 | f4 c e:m | f g a:m | g2. |
  a4:m c f | g e4.:m g8 | f2 g4 | c2
}

sopMusic = \relative c''
{
  \key c \major
  \time 3/4
  \partial 4
  g8a16( b) | c4 b a8 g | a( g) e4 e8 f16( g) | a4 g f8 e | d4( g) \bar "" \break e8 d |
  c4 c c8 g' | f4 e e8 g | a4 g e8 d | c2 \bar "|."
}

roundNumbers = {
  \override Dynamics.TextScript.padding = #3
  s2.*2^\markup { \circle \number 1 }
  s^\markup { \circle \number 2 }
}

\score {