Slurs

From: Daniel Mauck
Subject: Slurs
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 20:17:36 -0400

I’m typesetting an aria that has several melismatic passages with smaller,
individually slurred phrases over single syllables. Using automatic text
setting obviously won’t work here. I’d rather not set the lyrics with manual
durations because the majority of the score doesn’t require it. The only other
solution I can think of is to hide the slurs in these passages and
simultaneously use phrasing slurs, but this also would be rather cumbersome.
Any suggestions for an easier, more elegant solution?