Re: Chord names broken since 2.16

From: Jan Kohnert
Subject: Re: Chord names broken since 2.16
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 01:16:27 +0100

Am , schrieb Thomas Morley:
Though, I can easily imagine situations where <c e g d> is
dominant or
subdominant or tonic, depends on the surrounding circumstances.

True. But the reverse doesn't hold.

So far, I'd agree

Again, I disagree here. Correct ChordNames (together with some
common
agreements) will show only which pitches are present, not their
harmonic
function.

And that's precisely what C9 for <c e g d'> doesn't do. It implies
the
minor 7th that just isn't there, but, if present, would drastically
change the chord type. Let's put it like that: two vastly different
chords would become synonymous.

Agreed as well. (My point was to emphasize the absence of any
functional harmonic meaning with ChordNames.)

That's the point I was also emphasizing. As a Guitarist, I only have four fingers to play a chord, and I'll never be aber to play something like C13 with all of the notes, as long as Biology will not give me more fingers. ;) But theres a difference between C6 and C13, and even if I play C6, a piano player will make the difference, and that sould be readable in the score…

And there's a difference between Cadd9 and C9 with a (probably not playable or omitted) 7th.

Though this will have the above already mentioned disadvantage,
see the following example, last chord.

new ChordNames
chordmode {
set additionalPitchPrefix = #"add"
<c' e' g' bes' d''>
<c' e' g' d''>
c:7.9
c:5.9
c:5.7+.11+.13

In practical jazz improvisation you'd just omit a few tones from a
6 or
7 note chord. I don't know anybody who'd write a double "add"
there.
Everybody would call it a C [triangle] #11 13.

And that's the reason why 'additionalPitchPrefix' was changed.

Well, the point is: It was changed the wrong way: Nothing I ever saw displayed Cadd6add9, and in that point I'm fine with the change, as we (probably) (all?) whould write C6/9 in such a case, and then everyone(?) would know, there's no 7th in the chord. (And I agree with Amy's example.) Again: as a guitarist, many on the "add9" chords are played as sus2 (lack of fingers, again); but still add9 is different from sus2, as add11 is different from sus4.

The best solution is probably to have different defaults, but in any way: if chords are intented musically different, they should display in different ways…

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Jan Kohnert