Re: centering note columns [WAS: Directional NoteHead Stencil Support]

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: centering note columns [WAS: Directional NoteHead Stencil Support]
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 08:51:57 -0500

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 8:47 AM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Kieren,

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 7:39 PM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi David,

> Try the attached out.  It will only center an object if the contents of all staves can reasonably be centered.

So far, I would call that "perfect”!  =)

oh, it will be broken!

Anyway, I'm a little unsure of the procedure for determining whether an object is alone in its measure.  There's a C++ procedure that determines this and maybe that ought to be made accessible from Scheme.

[...]

Any reason why this can’t be submitted as a patch?

What bugs me is that the centering is done after measure-widths have been determined.  I would imagine that in most cases this routine will end up moving objects to the right.  When it does, that is infringing on what LilyPond has decided is an appropriate space between the objects in our column and the column holding the barline (and whatever else).  I would think that a good algorithm would ensure that the space after our objects would be increased, to match the space before.

Err...I think I mean the space *before* should be increased.  In any case neither space before or after should fall below a minimum,