Full measure rests seem to double-count

From: Henry Law
Subject: Full measure rests seem to double-count
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 22:55:17 +0100

I'm writing a part in 4/4 which requires the player to remain silent for the first three bars. I want to compress the rests, so I want the page to start with a "Full measure" rest with the number 3 above it.

The notation manual under the heading "Full measure rests" suggests that I code an R1 and then multiply it by the number of bars I want. My test file is therefore this:

\version "2.16.2"

baritone = {
  \relative c'' {
    \key a \major
    \compressFullBarRests
    \time 4/4
    R1*3

\score {
    \new Staff \baritone
}

But from http://www.lawshouse.org/music/DoubleWholeRest.pdf you can see that the result is three bars' worth of rests (a double-whole rest and a whole rest), with the number 3 above. Surely that's double-counting, amounting to nine bars of 4/4!

Of course, it's me that's doing something wrong; but what?

--

Henry Law            Manchester, England