Scaling Scores

From: Peter Heisen
Subject: Scaling Scores
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 11:12:55 -0700

Dear List,

I apologize if this is a total newbie question, but I am struggling with scaling scores.  Sometimes I want really big music to put on presentation slides.  Other times I want to fit a lot of music on one page.  Doing something like:

\layout {  #(layout-set-staff-size 40)  }

within a score block produces freakishly big notes but doesn't scale the actual staff accordingly.  Likewise,

\layout { #(layout-set-staff-size 5) }

produces freakishly small notes but again doesn't scale the staff to match.  What is the best way to scale the music so that all elements remain in a pleasing proportion?

Thank you,

Pete H.