Re: \uppercase function

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: \uppercase function
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 16:42:34 -0500

Kieren,

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

Here’s the concrete use-case:
1. I have musical theatre pieces with (naturally enough) title case titles, such as “My Lucky Day”.
2. When they’re included in the Piano/Conductor score (or other score from the regular performance materials), the title should remain in title case.
3. When they’re included in a songbook, I’m trying to show the title in the the expected format, which is all-caps (cf. modern Warner-Chappell imprints), e.g., “MY LUCKY DAY”.
4. I want to accomplish this entirely in the stylesheets, and not have to have two different ways of inputting the title in the code/content.

 I have no idea how intricate your workflow is, but could you adapt something like the following?

Create a file "header.ily":

%%%%%%%%%

\header {
  title = "My Lucky Day"
  title = #(cond
            ((defined? 'songbook) (string-upcase title))
            ((defined? 'regular-performance-materials) title)
            (else title))
}

Then mysongbook.ly:

\version "2.19"

#(define songbook #t)

\include "header.ily"

{

Perhaps you could define songbook on the command line.

--David