Re: Hymns and justified lyrics

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Hymns and justified lyrics
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 17:26:55 -0500

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> wrote:
Am 13.04.2015 um 01:55 schrieb David B. Stocker:
David,

Thank you for this. This is exactly what I'm after.

It seems like you're a Scheme guy. Is there a learning resource you would recommend to a very green beginner?
I don’t know any basic tutorials for Scheme itself, but concerning Lily the extending manual <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/extending/scheme-tutorial> is a point to start.
Documentation for Scheme may be found at <http://www.schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS/> and <http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-1.8/guile-ref/index.html> (R5RS referring to scheme in general and the guile reference manual to the implementation used in LilyPond), but these offer what is probably the steepest learning path available.

I've gotten a lot from the Extending Manual and the Guile 1.8 manual.  There's plenty to be had by searching, resources like http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/t-y-scheme/t-y-scheme.html.   There isn't much that is specifically geared to our flavor of Scheme, but I haven't found this to be much of an issue.

The harder part is learning the LilyPond-specific-stuff -- or at least taking it to the level of functions such as I referred you to above.  There is Extending and the list of Scheme functions in the Internals Reference <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/scheme-functions>.  Otherwise, what I know comes from the lists, reading code, and experimenting.... A tutorial for this is ever on the TODO list.

And, or course, you can ask Scheme questions on the user list.  You'll pretty much always get a ready answer.

DN