Re: (hypothetical) Availability of LilyPond engravers

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Re: (hypothetical) Availability of LilyPond engravers
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 21:15:15 +0200

It seems to me that one of the things this conversation is tending towards is a sort of "best practices style guide" for large-project collaboration (or just for how to structure large projects in general for the most efficient editing). What might a guide like that involve? What guidelines are there that become relevant with large projects?

I know with my current project, there's not much I can do, but I really would like to see some guides like this. Two guides would be helpful for me, actually: how to structure the files, write scripts to automate what's efficient to automate, etc etc..; and second, the sort of end-stage fine-tuning that would be necessary for a finished score to look optimal.

Or maybe I'm missing something? Do guides like that already exist?

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 7:49 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Andrew,

thank you for your thoughts.

Am 18. April 2015 03:56:59 MESZ, schrieb Andrew Bernard <address@hidden>:
>Urs,
>
>With a distributed group project it seems to me that people must know
>git in order to cooperate successfully, but I tend to find git is hard
>for people to learn if they are not software developers and accustomed
>to such things. The lack of knowledge of git caused large difficulties
>on a distributed engraving project I worked on with four people, a real
>issue. Reverting to non-git techniques is painful.
>
>Do you think this is a problem?

Problem? Not necessarily. Important issue? Yes.

I would not consider doing *anything* without version control anymore, and if that excludes one or the other possible collaborator so be it.
But I think it *is* doable and in any case worth the effort learning it. With " Das trunkne Lied" we had a few people who learned it along the way, and not software developers. But we also had people who decided not to join.

Urs