Re: Problem with repeat alternative endings that contain lyrics andleadi

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Problem with repeat alternative endings that contain lyrics andleading rests
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 11:11:22 +0100

Peter Heisen wrote Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:42 AM

> In the following modified example, the first beat of each ending has been
> changed to a rest, and a syllable removed from the lyrics to match.  Now when
> compiled, it shows two first endings and two second endings.  Moreover the
> log contains the error "warning: already have a volta spanner, ending that
> one prematurely". I have scoured the documentation and searched the list
> archives, and cannot find any mention of this.  Can you help?
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> \score {
>  <<
>    \new Staff {
>      \time 2/4
>      \new Voice = "melody" {
>        \relative c'' {
>          a4 a a a
>          \repeat volta 2 { b4 b }
>          \alternative { { r b } { r c } }
>        }
>      }
>    }
>    \new Lyrics {
>      \lyricsto "melody" {
>        Not re -- peat -- ed.
>        \repeat volta 2 { Re -- peat }
>        \alternative { { twice. } { twice. } }
>      }
>    }
>  >>
> }

Rather too late to be of help to the OP, but a simple work-around using the
usual \hideNotes trick is to define \vrest (think "vocal rest") like this

vrest = <<
  \once \hideNotes b
  \new Voice \absolute b'\rest

and use it instead of the normal rest.  You then need to also add a
corresponding \skip 1 (or "" ) in the lyrics to step over them.  So Peter's
faulty example becomes:

\version "2.18"

vrest = <<
  \once \hideNotes b
  \new Voice \absolute b'\rest

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff {
      \time 2/4
      \new Voice = "melody" {
        \relative c'' {
          a4 a a a
          \repeat volta 2 { b4 b }
          \alternative { { \vrest b } { \vrest c } }
    \new Lyrics {
      \lyricsto "melody" {
        Not re -- peat -- ed.
        \repeat volta 2 { Re -- peat }
        \alternative { { "" twice. } { "" twice. } }