Re: Survey: Large scores

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Survey: Large scores
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 09:18:39 -0400

Hi,

> This is not hard to implement at all, you just have to set things up
> appropriately.

You give a perfect example of why we need to improve Lilypond’s implementation.
The method

>       clarinetIPart = \relative c'' {
>               ... % clarinet music here
>       }
>
>       clarinetIIPart = \relative c'' {
>               ... % clarinet music here
>       }
>
>       clarinets = new Staff {
>               set Staff.instrumentName = #"Clarinets in B\flat I, II"
>               \transposition bes
>               \transpose bes c' \partcombine
>                       \clarinetIPart \clarinetIIPart
>       }

not only requires too much overhead/effort, it requires extra workarounds when
key signatures are triggered externally (i.e., in a global variable). Rather,
one should simply be able to say [something like]

   clarinets = {
    \takeInstrument #”clar.Bf”
    %%  Bb clarinet music here
    \takeInstrument #“clar.A”
    %%  A clarinet music here
  }

and all scores (transposing and concert-pitch) should Do The Right Thing™, with
perhaps a few parameters/switches to help as necessary.

Having engraved at least a hundred multi-instrumentalist movements from my own
music (for both classical and musical theatre orchestras), I can report with
great confidence that Lily’s current built-in implementation is frustrating to
the point of insufficiency.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer