Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 00:20:06 +0200

Hello,

I recall that I was always thinking it would be best to have a person at hand, maybe even sharing a ‘bureau’, who could answer my question. Or attending a class, in which one would for example be guided in coding example scores, and receive immediate feedback. Later I realised that I might have saved much time asking on the ly-user list, of which I somehow only got wind after some time. But these wishes are of course far from reality: we may only dream of a future in which every university music student or even pupils at music schools would be taught basics of lilypond as a standard tool, similar perhaps to the use of LaTeX in maths and physics…
Anyway, reading together everything on the internet from very extensive resources has been really cumbersome, especially as I hadn’t done it before or known the way to do this.
Now that’s only a report of my experience. I’d have to make some thorough thoughts on how this might have been eased.

Yours, Simon

PS. But in the course of years, I got the grip and now I get along pretty well :-) Though, it’s a never-ending way, if one goes on delving into scheme and the source and the docs and contributing etc. etc. … But rewarding it is.