Re: What is the problem with "\relative"? (Was: Do we really offer the f

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: What is the problem with "\relative"? (Was: Do we really offer the future?)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:21:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015, Hwaen Ch'uqi wrote:

Greetings,

The reasons for one not using relative mode are clear, but it hardly
justifies calling for its deprecation. As a composer of primarily
piano music, it is an absolute lifesaver. And all to whom I have
introduced LilyPond, primarily pianists or harpists, immediately
gravitated to relative mode. Again, why deprecate it when you have the
option of simply not using it?

Hwaen Ch'uqi

+1

I often use LilyPond to quickly enter a very simple tune or small pianosheet needing just a simple texteditor (Vim). I use \relative all the time. c g c e g is soo much faster and easier than c''' g'' c''' e''' g''' g'''.

And personally I find lilypond code in \relative mode easier to read.

I agree that for complex scores with much music in variables \relative mode can have annoying side-effects.

--

MT