Re: Standard LilyPond score structure (Was: How do new users feel about

From: Gilles
Subject: Re: Standard LilyPond score structure (Was: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:55:57 +0200

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 19:39:25 -0700, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 04:19:08AM +0200, Gilles wrote:
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:53:42 -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
[...]
>So, to output a simple 16-bar lead sheet, a user should always [be
>forced to] create 3 files (voice.ily, chords.ily, score.ly)? Or maybe
>four (lyrics.ily)? Or more?
>Because a “one-per-instrument” file structure — or something equally
>segmented in some other way — is likely necessary (or at least
>desirable enough to be chosen as the standard) for a huge project
>like an opera.

Yes! :-)
But once there is a standard, many tools will blossom, in particular
one that would offer "simple layout" and transparently transform into
"standard layout"...

Or more probably a user that is too lazy to set up one directory
(rather than one file) for a given project is likely to use a GUI in
the first place and will never ever see the multi-file standard
layout.
[..]

I beg to differ. I do not use a GUI (and never will, for lilypond), yet I have found (so far) that I prefer the single-file approach. At least,
I've found it quite manageable so far for single-movement pieces.

[...]

Of course, if you are used to it, nobody forces you to change.
The suggestion was certainly that LilyPond should forbid all input
other than the "standard" ("best practice") layout.

[Yet I want to stress that what you seem to describe is exactly what
a LilyPond GUI would do; I mean that the GUI designer has chosen a
structure (like you did) so that the code knows where to fetch and
to put things.  You do it "manually".]

Everything in one file is not a solution that can scale (e.g. for
large, possibly distributed, encoding projects).

Best regards,
Gilles