Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Gilles
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:04:46 +0200

Hello.

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 12:09:29 +0200, Urs Liska wrote:
Hi all,

I had to leave this alone for a while, otherwise I wouldn't have been
able to reply calmly to a number of the first responses on this
thread. It's only lately that the discussion has reached a level of
constructivity that may be helpful. In the meantime the discussion has
split up to a number of threads and sub-topics, all going in the
direction of how to improve LilyPond, and I'm glad this came up. Let's
hope it will eventually trigger some real improvements...

However, I think I have been grossly misunderstood by some of the
early commenters, as the invocation of certain magic words (where
"publishing house", particularly in combination with "big" is one of
the foremost, ranking directly after "copyright") triggers near
Pavlovian responses that may not really take into account what was
originally expressed. As a consequence some of my main points (or
not-explicitly-named consequences of them) haven't been part of the
discussion at all, and I think these should be picked up too.

It doesn't make any sense to reply to all of the messages
individually, so I'll try to do it in a more general reply to my
initial post.

First of all:
I have _not_ asked "the LilyPond team" to spend any resources for
whatever.

First of all, nobody wrote that you did.

What my post was asking for is a discussion in the _user
community_.

And we have it; and the "early commenters" explicitly thanked you
starting it.

Obviously this discussion arose, and in the meantime it
has reached a fruitful direction.

Perhaps, in part, because _choosing_ a direction implies that
several views have been expressed.

Second:
The intention of my post is _not_ to find ways to help publishers do
their business, to help them increase their profit, to "please" them,
to sell LilyPond's soul to the "sharks" or whatever some commenters
wanted to read from it. I must admit it's somewhat disappointing to be
misunderstood that way,

Perhaps your initial post offered the possibility of misinterpretation.

and I somehow feel attacked below the belt by
such comments.

Nobody attacked you.  [Not even if you actually held the idea of
defending "big publishers" profits (which would be your right).]

I'm sorry that you misinterpreted an honest response to your honest
request for comment as a treacherous personal attack.

###

To whom LilyPond should strive to "offer the future"?
IMHO, certainly not to the "[...] big house[s] with traditions,
regulations and limitations".

What's for the LilyPond team in spending resources trying to work around
those self-inflicted limitations?

and

"Can you tell me why we should be interested in helping music publishers exactly?"

I don't inherently care about the fate of publishing houses. But I
think there are a few "self-inflicted limitations" in LilyPond's
attitude that should be overcome to assist LilyPond to survive or at
least to prevent it from eventually being doomed to insignificance.

I assure you that I understand your frustration (from personal
experience in another project).
As much as I agree with the risk, prediction of doom is not a working
argument (from personal experience in another project...).

From an "external" (i.e. someone not on the "dev" ML) oberver's
viewpoint, LilyPond has been in this state since... its beginnings (?).
Astonishingly, some projects don't die easily. :-)

The main point here is not about helping publishers do their business
but (and that is a point that hasn't been discussed at all in this
thread) to help LilyPond evolving through an increased user and
developer base.

I do agree with that goal, and I did mention the idea of a project
towards that goal (albeit using another direction that would probably
displease the "big publishers").

LilyPond's developer base is too thin, to a dramatic extent in my
opinion. As it stands, the withdrawal of *any* core developer would
have a noticeable impact, and there are a number of persons whose
withdrawal (for whatever reason) could trigger an existential crisis.
LilyPond development is much too slow IMO (I don't know if it has
decreased or if it was always like this). There are so many brilliant
ideas around to make LilyPond even better, and there are so many
complaints around about things that LilyPond should do better to be
really usable - but much of it just doesn't happen because there are
too few man-hours available to do something about it. The current
discussion is a very good example for that, and I don't know if the
resources are available to do it better this time.

I agree as I said above (that lacking resources is a risk).
I understood your original post as doing more with less, in the sense
that "we" (community) should (in order to solve the problem) work
towards satisfying the "limitations" of "big publishers".
I might have misinterpreted, but you did not give explicit examples
beyond the existence of problems with "big publishers" (or IOW "big
publishers having a problem with LilyPond).

IIUC, your idea is that the user base would grow if LilyPond were used
by big publishers.  This I can perhaps imagine. [Although from what I
read on this list, a "SCORE" program exists that is/was used by
publishers and yet does not seem to have a large user base.]
But I and others highlighted that they might not want to use LilyPond
for the foreseeable future whatever amount of work you put in overcoming
their (or LilyPond's) limitations.

And LilyPond's user base is too small. The results of my recent
survey make me believe that one cannot wholeheartedly offer LilyPond
services on professional level, as it simply isn't sufficiently clear
that there will be enough capable people around for a long time. It is
a sad irony that you can claim a fundamental superiority of open
standards and plain text file formats, but in reality this doesn't
help anyone because you can't rely on the availability of human
resources.

I agree on the irony.  But is it better in the proprietary world?
The Sibelius case has demonstrated that it is not.
A free software cannot die on the whim of a few individuals. That's
a serious advantage.  But "big publishers" don't want to contribute
to make LilyPond up to their business processes...

Therefore:

* Anything that increases the developer base is an asset for LilyPond
   as a project.

Yes.

* Anything that increases the user base raises the chance to increase
   the developer base.

Yes.

* Paid projects, particularly big ones with long-term perspectives, do
   both of the above.

Yes/Maybe

* Such projects are very likely to directly contribute back to LilyPond.

Maybe/Not expected (dixit Kieren, somewhere up the thread).

###

The fact that it is practically impossible today to deliver LilyPond
files to commercial publishers rules out a whole category of potential
users: (highly professional) music engravers who do (want to and/or
need to) work for commercial publishers.

I can see that a GNU project is not interested in this kind of work
and explicitly won't endorse it. And that it doesn't consider "market
share" a goal to be pursued.

But it did consider it (as viewed from an "external" oberver):
Contributions were requested to allow a highly skilled developer to work
on developing LilyPond.
Big publishers, which one might imagine know the existence of a software
in their field that produces high quality output, could have stepped in
and request enhancements in whathever direction they may have seen fit.
Did they?

To some extent I have even accepted that
as a fact. But I am sure (and partially know) that a lot of LilyPond
users would be happy to work for commercial publishers - and currently
they only have the choice to use other programs or just not to get
these commissions.

Sure, it would be great that LilyPond indirectly creates jobs.

As long as the GPL explicitly permits the use of GPLed software to
produce commercial content such use is legitimate, and users pursuing
that line of work shouldn't be treated like heretics.

They are not, and I did not read that they were treated as such in
this thread.

However, if people feel strongly about it, perhaps make the
recommendation that LilyPond be placed under a license that prohibits
its use for proprietary documents, and the wider community can discuss
that proposal.

(IANAL)
GPL protects the use and availability of the sotware source.
The license of what it produces is an orthogonal concern.

Opening the door to the publishing business would open the door for
existing users to distribute their work in more places. It would open
the door for said category of potential users to use LilyPond. As
others have stated the fact that LilyPond is non-existent in the
publishing business also causes it to remain non-existent in other
"markets", namely the educational - and I'm talking of schools and
music schools as well as academic musicology. Which in turn would
"produce" new users.

A fact, it is.
Its cause is not related to the capacities (existing or potential)
of LilyPond.
One cause is very likely the lack of marketing power (that was the
case for much functionality that existed long before a marketing
power made a "shiny" app that suddenly made it exist in the eyes
of the wider public).

Again, I agree with the goal.  I just have doubts on the means.

Opening the door to the publishing business would also open the door
to academic musicology. I think one of the most prominent evolutions
of the decade is the exploration of digital edition concepts. This is
also interesting for LilyPond because a) engraving tools compiling
text are natural choices to process text-encoded content (as is
generally the case) and b) it is a strong tendency (if not a completed
transition) to think in terms of free software and content there. (In
Germany you will only get public money for research projects in the
"digital" domain if all resulting material is done with open,
accessible standards.) Currently edition projects and institutes don't
see using LilyPond as a viable goal because it will require
substantial work to be able to do that, and because they can only
judge it from the perspective of their individual project - and for an
individual project the necessary effort would clearly be
inappropriate.

That's very concrete and interesting.
Why not explore what it would take to make that effort worth it?

More explicitly: why does a public/research institution find it more
efficient to use non-free rather than free tools?
How did they reach the "not viable" conclusion?
Can we argue against it?

This is the reason why I see it as an important consideration to
adopt additional encoding standards like MEI (or even MusicXML) more
vigorously than LilyPond does so far (I think one could consider
LilyPond a classical case of a vendor lock-in situation).

No!
Everything (source code and input format) is free and open: a
publisher doesn't even need to ask for permission to develop a
converter, and use it to get nice output from its wealth of its
otherwise encoded music contents.

###

It has been brought up that adoption of LilyPond by publishers would
restrict access to culture by "creating" editor's copyright on music
that should be in the public domain.

There are (at least) two fundamental flaws in this argument:
First:
When a publisher releases a new edition of an old work its legal
status is in no way affected by the tool used. So you can't take that
as an argument against endorsing the use of free tools for commercial
products. However, when such an edition runs out of copyright, or the
publishers should change their minds the editions are already
accessible in open formats and for free tools. So using LilyPond for
commercial editions can be seen as an (albeit hypothetical) advantage.

?

I think that you misunderstood my argument.
I _never_ said or implied that free software should not be used to
create copyrighted editions.

Quite the contrary, I of course agree that having _any_ edition use
LilyPond for engraving will increase awareness.

Second:
A commercial edition of a public domain work does not restrict access
to the work in any way. It just doesn't provide improved free access.

That argument I indeed made.
Improved and increased access to free contents (Creative Commons) created
by LilyPond is another way to increase awareness of it.

So from the perspective of free culture is simply doesn't matter if
the publisher produces this edition or not.

The point is not to try and prevent publishers to do whatever they want.
It is rather what _we_ (or at least some of the users of free software)
would like to foster (creating free edition of public domain contents),
independently of other, equally valid and respectable, endeavours.

Consequently this is
completely irrelevant to the question whether publishers should be
encouraged to use LilyPond.

Agreed (so what?).

Additionally, new editions often *do* improve access to the
compositions, by means of an improved editorial quality. As a
professional musician, I'd nearly always prefer paying for a
commercial edition over printing an outdated 19th century edition from
the internet.

And wouldn't you prefer even more that a fellow LilyPonder had
encoded it for you to enjoy?

It has been stated that commercial publishers produce editions that
suck for their editorial quality and that therefore these publishers
are not worth being convinced of using LilyPond. Sorry, but this
really not very helpful. I didn't perform a qualified comparison, but
I can't imagine that the average and overall editorial quality of
"free" editions comes even close to what commercial publishers have
achieved over the centuries.

Apples and oranges.
Unless I'm mistaken, the correct argument is a comparison between
softwares. And automatic creation of beautiful music: LilyPond tries
to achieve the quality which _humans_ built up over the centuries.

Again, free and commercial engravers can use the same tool to achieve
whatever quality level those tools allow.

Again, it would be great if commercial engravers embraced LilyPond.
They did not want to, they still don't want to.
I'd be interested to know the reasons. [E.g. "We rely on the
long-term maintenance of commercial software"... like "Sibelius".]

This is also true for projects like IMSLP
or Mutopia. These don't provide any inherent mechanism for editorial
quality control. The vast majority of scores to be found there are
simply copied from existing editions, without any standardized way to
guarantee their correctness.

The implementation of the Mutopia has (serious) shortcomings (discussed
in another thread).  Does it mean that the idea is bad?

What about Wikipedia?  Should that idea have been dismissed under the
assumption that it would never have the same level of editorial quality
control as the "Encyclopedia Britannica"?

And did anybody think about the fact that
nearly all of these "model" editions have simply run out of copyright
and wouldn't exist if they hadn't been produced by commercial
publishers in the first place?

IIRC, it has been mentioned on this ML (quite some time ago) that new
editions with minute changes are published to ever extend the copyright
limit.
It is good (IMO) that at some point, public domain contents really
becomes free, even if it originates from the work of an engraver who
lived 100 years ago and did live from his engraving work.

Truly Free editions would require
people going to the archives and producing new editions from the
original sources. Then we can start talking about *their* quality ...

That's a valid concern.

If the editor does a bad job, it's a bad job.
But, with a free edition, anybody can improve it (if some part of
work is worth using it) and share the now good edition.

Not so with a "new" commercial edition of "old" public stuff.

In general I only use these free resources to get a first impression
- which is of course an example use case for the free distribution of
culture. But edition quality is an aspect that is somewhat at odds
with the free distribution, and I would not accept sacrifying this
part of the equation.

"quality is [...] at odds with free distribution"
???

First, people can be paid to produce free contents. It's not really
"gratis" if the money comes public funds (it was paid for, through
taxes).

Second, it is not fair, especially here, to indirectly associate
"money" with "quality" and "benevolent" with "crap".

It's foremost a question of policy. Commercial products are not
necessarily good because you pay for them...

###

Now to the aspect of "convincing" publishers.

If they are such corporate dinosaurs that do not recognise the benefits of advanced lilypond technology, open source and open systems, of what concern is it to the community of lilypond engravers?

I have outlined above why this should be a concern to the LilyPond
community. But the first part of that statement is too short-sighted
IMO.

I have talked with a few "corporate dinosaurs", and it quickly became
clear that there is no sense in continuing my efforts, presumably
until the respective persons have retired. One bluntly told me that
plain text is outdated and that he had thought this had been overcome
decades ago. Another one only slightly concealed (under politeness)
that his company will only consider any technological change when they
can't prevent it because everybody else has already jumped the
bandwagon.

That's another piece of information which would help preventing what
you deemed a misinterpretation of your original post.

But most others I have talked with have been seriously interested and
grasped quite clearly what I am talking about. They asked exactly the
right questions and saw potentials and problems quite clearly too.

But that's not enough to consider a change.
When a business is proposed a new technology I think there are
basically three considerations:
a) The suggestion promises solutions for problems the business is
actually and significantly suffering from
b) The suggestion promises (mostly financial) benefits that outweigh
the investment.
c) The risk of failure seems overseeable.

ad a)
Most people clearly see the advantages.
Notably engraving quality is one of the least in this regard. Most
publishing houses are satisfied with their output because they have
either invested quite some effort in it or they simply don't care.

So: "commercial" and "don't care [about the quality]".

From a long time subscriber's to this list, it seems that engraving
quality was _primarily_ why users of other softwares switched to
LilyPond.  [Making them willing to overcome their possible initial
wondering at the textual input.]

There is one point that can be made here, and that is the
out-of-the-box quality, which can be of interest when it comes to
producing performance material on short notice and only later refine
that to publication quality.
The most compelling points seem to be the potentials of project
management/documentation through version control and the option of
distributing work over arbitrary numbers of collaborators. The Grid
approach made quite some impression particularly.
As mentioned I have the impression that the overall issues of data
integrity and the risks of relying on commercial software have become
more present in publishers' minds by now.

Imagine your suffering if the Sibelius case did not happen... :-)

b) and c) are the problematic parts. And here I think the "risk" part
is more of an issue thant the "investment". People can't really
oversee how the new technology can fit into their existing
infrastructure, particularly given the fact that they do and will
always have contributions by numerous people from outside that have to
be integrated. Add to this the question if we can reliably enough
convince anybody that "we" will be around in a few years and that
there is a sufficient user base to guarantee that they will always
find someone to get "tech support" from.

The problem is that they don't grasp what "free software" is.
If they want to, "tech support" will be there, thanks to them.
You cannot promise that it will be there, if they don't become
involved in and concerned about the (evolving) "community".

And as noted earlier, they have demonstrably wrong expectations
that tech support for commercial will always be there!

So finally I'm back at the beginning, namely my original post's
question, preparing a convincing set of facts, arguments and
"promises" that help to overcome the reservations with regard to b)
and c) of the above list. I have the impression I'll be more or less
alone with that, so I'll try to put my things together on my own.
Having triggered quite a bunch of different (and hopefully fruitful)
discussions is something too ...

Back to thanking you for starting this discussion. And your involvement.
And your work. And your projects.
Maybe there will be a little slot for trying to take other paths into
consideration for increasing LilyPond user base (or publish what you tried
already and how/why it failed).

Thanks,
Gilles

Best