Re: mutopia's shortcomings

From: Gilles
Subject: Re: mutopia's shortcomings
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 16:55:09 +0200

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:48:02 -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Gilles,

Why do you use LilyPond then?

Here’s my answer: for compositions that have not yet been engraved —
for example, every single one that will be written after today.

But why _LilyPond_, if you agreed that quality will can (never!) match that
produced with the tool that produced the scores available on IMSLP ?

Why not that other tool?

As a composer (and self-publisher), using Lilypond is a no-brainer for me.
For engravers/publishers looking only to produce Yet Another Edition
Of “That Old Chestnut”, I would imagine using Lilypond is far from a
no-brainer — in fact, as we’ve seen, it’s a pretty tough sell, even
for individual users.

The question was not in reference to that subject.
Rather it is about the "objective" quality of the result (independent
of much work is required to get it).

Best regards,
Gilles