Re: Fixing overlapping notation

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Fixing overlapping notation
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 22:12:17 +0000

On 4/24/15 2:52 PM, "Anthonys Lists" <address@hidden> wrote:

>I would, however, like to understand why :-) I can see you're setting a
>variable to some scheme value, but why does adding an extra 1/2 unit
>either side suddenly make text stack horizontally rather than
>vertically?

The spacing engine makes the measures long enough to fit the text width
plus the extra spacing width.  When it does that, the two texts can fit
side-by-side.

In the original, the measure was only long enough to fit the text widths,
and thus the text collides.  Musical spacing dominates text spacing, so
lilypond shifts the text vertically to avoid the collision.

HTH,

Carl