Re: can InstrumentName padding centered according to the longest instrum

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: can InstrumentName padding centered according to the longest instrument name?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 11:08:21 -0500

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Abraham,

> Fantastic work, David!

+1

> This would make an excellent addition to the core code, IMHO.

+1

> The only thing that I would further request (and this applies to instrumentName in general) is that the indent variable automatically adjust itself to be larger to compensate for names that run into the left margin (and sometimes off the page entirely!).

Really, “left-margin” could (should?) be from the left edge of the physical page to the left-most bit of printed material (i.e., the left-most bit of SystemStartDelimiter or instrument name, whichever is farthest left). Right now, it’s “left-margin + short-indent [indent, resp.]” to the left-most SystemStartDelimiter of the system [first system, resp.], with the instrument name(s) added almost as an afterthought.

Ha.  This brings back the days of getting my dissertation--an orchestral composition--through all the final hoops.  Did the explicit requirement of 1.5\in at the left (if I remember correctly) include the instrument name or not?  There never was a conclusive answer.  You could see the varying interpretation in past scores.

David