Re: Various Stanza Questions

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Various Stanza Questions
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 08:14:15 -0700 (MST)

Phil, et al,

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 2:58 AM, Phil Holmes-2 [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, yes, yes, yes:

{
<<
\new Voice = melody \repeat unfold 20 { c''4 c' c c''' }
\new Lyrics \lyricsto melody { \set stanza = #"Key One" \repeat unfold 20 { la } }
\new Lyrics \lyricsto melody { \set stanza = #"Key Two" \repeat unfold 20 { _ } \repeat unfold 60 { la } }

}

Just thought I'd offer a gentle reminder about using underscores to skip syllables. USE CAUTION because _ and \skip X make lyric syllables that come *before* them align themselves differently to the corresponding noteheads. _ will always left-align them, \skip X will align them like normal. This isn't a problem in the above case since they are all prefatory, but just be aware of this nuance.

For me, I *never* use _ to indicate a skipped syllable unless I mean to manually indicate a melisma in the lyrics (since this is really what it is designed to do). I *always* use \skip X (where X can be any duration since it doesn't matter in the lyric context) and use the \repeat unfold N if necessary.

- Abraham