Automatically inserting bar lines when a line is broken on an empty bar

From: Matie Holtzhausen
Subject: Automatically inserting bar lines when a line is broken on an empty bar line
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 11:44:39 +0200

Hi,

How can I print a bar line if the line-breaker decides to break at an empty bar line:

For example:

\paper {
paper-width = 60\mm
}

\relative c' {c8 c c c \bar "" c c c c | c c c c}

This causes the line-breaker to break at \bar “”.
If the paper setting is removed, it does not break the line at all.

How can I adapt my music, so that if the paper setting causes the first measure to be broken at \bar “”, a bar line would be printed (at the end of the line).  If the paper setting is removed, I do not a bar line.

I would like to have the flexibility of changing layout variables, without having to put manual bar lines at line breaks (impractical for a large book), and I do not want lines to end without bar lines.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Matie