Re: Putting lyrics below its staff?

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Putting lyrics below its staff?
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 20:41:42 +0200

Hi Kaj,

in general you are right: In case there is only one expression,
duplicating the 'brackets', << >> or { } is not needed. You can even
write a single note without brackets:
\new Staff a
but of course not two:
\new Staff a b

At the top level you need something to tell LilyPond that this is music
(\new Staff in the examples above or braces) and not lyrics or commands
or something else:
{ a }
simply writing
is not enough.

Your code does not compile and it looks a bit strange. While you are
right concerning redundant brackets, I wonder why you have staves inside
of voices? I put a different example here and I comment some of the brackets

\new ChoirStaff << % needed because of 2 staves
  \new Staff << % needed because of 2 voices inside staff
    \new Voice = vA { a b } % {} needed because multiple notes
    \new Voice = vB { c d }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto vB { Hel -- lo }

  \new Staff { e f }  % no <<>> needed because only one voice

Does that make sense to you?

Cheers,
Joram