Re: Incomplete final bar with \parallelMusic

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Incomplete final bar with \parallelMusic
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 09:09:33 +0100

David Sumbler wrote Monday, May 25, 2015 5:32 PM

>I am using the \parallelMusic entry for a string quartet.
>
> At the beginning of the 1st movement (which is mostly in 4/4 time)
there
> is a half bar before the first bar-line, which causes no problem
because
> I have "\partial 2" in each part.
>
> But the corresponding half bar at the end of the movement produces
> "barcheck failed" warning messages, although the music compiles
> correctly.  The final bar and a half are these:
>
> % bar 148
> d2 r2 |
> d2 r2 |
> d2 r8 cs cs cs |
> d2 r8 cs cs cs |
> % bar 149
> d4 r4 \bar "|."
> d4 r4 \bar "|."
> d4 r4 \bar "|."
> d4 r4 \bar "|."
>
> So far I haven't found a way to suppress these messages, although I
have
> tried several different approaches.  I suspect that there is probably
> fairly simple solution, but so far I haven't managed to think of it!
>
> Any ideas?

On Mon, 2015-05-25 at 15:15 -0400, Stephen MacNeil wrote:
what about

> \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 2/4)
>

> as far as i know \partial is only for the beginning and from then on
you use ly:make-moment

This works a treat - thanks.

On Mon, 2015-05-25 at 22:49 +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:
> The bars must be all the same length as the bar check marks are required.
> This can be fiddled by increasing the duration of the rests without changing
> the printed appearance:
>
> % bar 148
>  d''2 r2 |
>  d2 r2 |
>  d2 r8 cs cs cs |
>  d2 r8 cs cs cs |
> % bar 149
>  d4 r4*3 \bar "|." |
>  d4 r4*3 \bar "|." |
>  d4 r4*3 \bar "|." |
>  d4 r4*3 \bar "|." |

I find that this has some of the disadvantages of adding an 's2' after
the 'r4'. Although only one crotchet rest appears in the last bar of
each part, there is a noticeable gap after it before the final bar.

I am using Lilypond 2.18.0 - I don't know whether later versions would
behave differently.

David