Re: Help with Horizontal Compression!

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Help with Horizontal Compression!
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 23:19:15 +0200

Am 14.06.2015 um 22:42 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> 3. If the problem should persist nevertheless, have a look at
>> > <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/fitting-music-onto-fewer-pages>.
> In general, LilyPond tends to take up sizeable more space than scores by
> experienced human engravers.

But generally less than the "competition".
Getting their programs to deliver dense engravings is usually an issue
for engravers and publishers, and LilyPond delivers pretty well in this
area. But maybe not always by default.

Regarding the original question I second the suggestion to enter more
music. In this stage LilyPond tries to fill two pages, which simply
doesn't work very well. When you reach an amount of 8-10 pages you'll
see much clearer where you'll heading to.

And we can assure you that then you will be able to tell LilyPond to
engrave more densely, even if the default still shouldn't work for you.

One more comment: There has been quite significant changes
(improvements) between the current stable and the current development
version, so the latest 2.19 version will engrave more densely by default
than 2.18.

HTH
Urs