Re: A Chord Question

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: A Chord Question
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 23:13:03 +0200

Nathan,
Thanks for the pointer.
Bill

On 15-06-21 10:56 PM, Nathan Ho wrote:
On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 4:27 PM, William Marchant <address@hidden> wrote:
Using the \chordmode function,  when I enter "a:m7.5-"  I get as shown in the documentation.

The guitarist in our group would very much like to stay with the notation he is used to.  Namely  .

Hi William,

Have a look at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/displaying-chords#customizing-chord-names, which contains all the info you'll need for customizing the chord name system.

Regards,
Nathan
Hi William,

Nathan already pointed you to the documented way how to customize chord names.

Though,  "a:m7.5-" is already part of 'ignatzekExceptions'. You can ofcourse put it in your own wish. If you want _exactly_ the same output as for default-chords you will have some difficulties to adjust it.

Better to remove the settings for chords like "a:m7.5-" from 'ignatzekExceptions':

chExceptions =
#(remove
  (lambda (e)
   (equal?
    (car e)
    (cdr (event-chord-pitches #{ <c' ees' ges' bes'> #}))))
  ignatzekExceptions)

\new ChordNames
\chordmode {
    \set chordNameExceptions = #chExceptions
    a:m5-.7
    a:m5-.7
}

or for one-time-use, set 'chordNameExceptions' to an empty list:

\new ChordNames
\chordmode {
    \once \set chordNameExceptions = #'()
    a:m5-.7