Re: \tabChordRepeats location inside the \score block

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \tabChordRepeats location inside the \score block
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 12:55:18 +0200

Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

> I know I can put \tabChordRepeats before each TabVoice variable to
> make it work:
>
> \new TabVoice { \voiceOne \tabChordRepeats \upper }
>
> The actual question is why the two commands differ.

Because they do totally different things at totally different times.
Expanding repeat chords is typically done at scorification (when a
score's music expression is converted to a score expression)
\tabChordRepeats does this earlier in order to escape the scorification
defaults unsuitable for tabulature.

\tabChordRepetition will instead change the scorification defaults but
those are then applied to any music, not just that in TabStaff.

My personal opinion is that either should just be abolished and instead
the string assignment function determine-frets in
scm/translation-functions.scm should record any string/fret assignments
it makes and reuse them for the next chord unless incompatible with
explicit fingerings.

It's not like it makes sense for manually repeated chords to have the
fingerings forgotten.

Basically, determine-frets should _score_ various configurations rather
than stopping at the first valid configuration it finds, and a match
with the previous fingering counts strongly, with a match of the
position in general counting at least weakly and a match in shape
counting somewhat more (travelling barrées).

So no, I don't have nice advice here.  \tabChordRepeats is an ugly
mechanism at a different layer than overrides.

--
David Kastrup